ShabbyBlogs Background

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Baby Makes Three

No more font options. This is some kind of joke, isn't it.

T'was the night before James's birthday (Feb 22, 2010) and I was busily planning a surprise birthday bash and attempting to make a Baked Alaska big enough for 30 people. James was at work for the night (I'm SO glad those night-shift days are over!) and it was my only time to be sneaky.
I had no inkling that I could be pregnant, except that we had stopped trying not to be about a month before. I had a couple of pregnancy tests hidden under the bathroom sink, the temptation was too great and the timing was too perfect; I had to take them. So I read the instructions: pee on the stick, set it down for 10 minutes, if there's a vertical line, even ever-so-faint, you're probably pregnant. Ok.


And ever-so-faint it was. Probably because I was like 2 seconds pregnant and the hormones that make you crazy and sick hadn't taken over by body yet. I took the other test to be sure. Same ever-so-faint line. I started to doubt my generic Wal-mart brand, but by then the grocery store was closed and I had to wait out the night. At 6am I was up and running to the store for another test. Different brand, same result. Oh yeah.
So I made James a birthday card...
...from the fetus, of course. We had already decided that Sveinbjorn makes a nice name for a fetus, so signing it was no problem.
When James got home in the morning he ate the candy before opening the card. Who does that? I was dying of anticipation. When he finally opened it, he just stared at it for a few minutes. He finally looked up at me with a puzzled look on his face and asked, "are you pregnant?" I said, "yes". He looked like he didn't believe me for a couple of minutes, but then he had a bad case of silly grin for the rest of the day.
We had decided not to tell anyone for the first few weeks. Harder than it sounds. That afternoon, James's friend (my cohort) took him to a movie while I packed 30 people into the bedroom. When they got back, I asked him to go get some folding chairs out of the closet. Everyone screamed, "surprise!" and scared the living daylights out of him. I think he almost punched our home teacher. Oh yeah, go me. Here's a picture of my mom with Elena and Amanda, a couple of my awesome mission companions who made the trip from Salt Lake for the event. I think they were James's favorite guests because they both brought him candy.
Here's the famous Baked Alaska. It actually turned out quite well. Sure, it was a little melted on the sides, and frozen solid in the middle, but everyone ate it.

1 comment: